[Pythonmac-SIG] Status of PyObjC port to Intel OS X

Marcin Komorowski marcink at ieee.org
Tue May 16 04:11:33 CEST 2006

Thanks to all who have replied with information, and especially to
Bob for pointing me to a location where I can find a bunch of recent
universal binary builds of python components.  I have not found a
link to this page on the Internet before, hopefully your post will
help search engines find it.

Here is a bit of extra information, what I got to work and the
question I still have:

- I am a recent Mac convertee (what took me so long?), and I am
setting up PyObjC on my iMac for the first time
- I originally tried PyObjC v1.3.7, the latest package I found at
http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/ and of course that did not work

With the help of the wonderful people on this list:
- I have checked out the latest PyObjC using subversion (here comes
my CVS-to-subversion conversion) and built it with Python 2.3.5,
which comes pre-installed with OS X 10.4
I have managed to do a build, install the package, and than used
XCode to build a sample PyObjC application - awesome.

Now, are there any side affects of switching the system over to use
python 2.4?  I have played around a bit with installing MacPython 2.4
(once again thanks to Bob's link) but I found that XCode picks up /
bin/python (which is 2.3.5) and not /usr/local/bin/python, which is
where MacPython 2.4 installs a link to its binary.  Being new to Mac
I must ask - is it safe to just point python binary links in /bin to
match those found in /usr/local/bin or should I be weary of some side
affects?

Thank You,
Marcin