[Pythonmac-SIG] Application without py2app?

Thorsten Kohnhorst monsterkodi at gmx.net
Wed May 17 02:13:48 CEST 2006

Hello Chris,

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>> The best solution would be to teach SPE about application bundles,
>> but I don't know how hard that would be.
>
> I'm confused. Do you need to run PyObjC apps from within a bundle? Why
> not debug by running your scripts with pythonw, like we all do for
> non-gui programs, wxPython, etc. SPE (or Eclipse) should be able to do
> that just fine.
>
> Or are you trying to debug a problem that only shows up after you've
> made a bundle from your scripts?

I am writing an application that is quite GUI centered. Being able to
break at arbitrary methods helps me to understand the "flow" of
all the notifications and delegate invocations and examine the state
of the system at a certain point of time or event.

Since the GUI is created with Interface Builder and not programmatically
I have to start it from a bundle because the AppKit/Cocoa classes
depend on it.
At least thats how I understand it so far.

I hope that  answers your question,
yours kodi