[Pythonmac-SIG] IDLE and MacPython 2.5

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 1 06:26:49 CET 2006

Christopher Barker wrote:
> Jacob Rus wrote:
>> Admittedly, the python bundle is not as polished
>> as those for some other languages (html and ruby for instance), but it
>> is still head and shoulders above all the other editors listed above, in
>> my opinion.  some more people from this list ought to give it a shot
>> (the python bundle really needs some more competent contributors to live
>> up to its potential,
>
> Can the Python mode be altered/improved by users? Is TextMate open to
> input/contribution from users?

Yes indeed, which is why I say it needs to have more contributors from
the Mac Python community.  There are several dozen active contributors
to the bundle repository (only a few python users though), and the
community seems in general to be quite energetic and active.

Allan tosses new features to bundle contributors every few weeks (last
week it was the quite impressive new tm_dialog tool, which allows a
command to use interface builder .nib files as a dialog, sending the
result back to the command as a plist file), and those features ripple
down through the bundles as people build new toys to take advantage of them.

Anyway, the primary places where the current TextMate python bundle can
be improved are a) a better python script runner, with prettier styled
output, and more linkified tracebacks, b) better documentation of the
bundle, and better tools for fetching documentation about the functions
and classes being used. and c) more snippets and commands for code-entry
can be added.  Snippets a very powerful tool, and the python bundle
under-utilizes them at the moment.

> That is what it takes to really make it
> shine. A couple years ago a BBedit user posted excerpts from an email
> discussion with the BBedit folks about how they might improve BBEdit for
> Python -- and it came down to the BBedit folks saying : you shouldn't
> want to do that, and we're not going to let you -- it was clear none of
> them was a regular Python user, so BBedit's Python support is still
> severely lacking.

That is very sad.  TextMate, and its community certainly do not share
this philosophy.  The TextMate support for python is already
significantly better than BBEdit's support.  But it's not as good as it
could be, either.

> The primary reason I use Xemacs is because it has excellent modes for
> EVERY kind of text I edit -- and ALL of them were written by serious
> users of the respective type of text -- that's why they are so good
> (didn't Guido write the original Python mode for Emacs?)

Well, personally, as a Mac user, I think that a python bundle that fully
took advantage of TextMate would be nicer than the emacs python mode.
But it will take a non-trivial amount of work.  One of the problems with
the current TextMate is that grammars and folding patterns, etc. are
rather geared toward working with end markers on blocks, and don't
really handle indentation-based structure as well as I would like.  But
I think those problems will go away in TextMate 2.0, which should come
out sometime after Leopard does (when I'm hoping python 2.5 and pyObjC
will be shipped standard with the OS??).

TextMate's scope system is based around a quite understandable, and
extremely flexible, regular-expression-based lexer/parser, and though it
makes a few compromises in the name of efficiency (Text Editors have
different needs than compilers and interpreters, naturally), it stands
head and shoulders above any other editor when it comes to scoping all
the elements of a language, and allowing granular context-sensitive
control of the editor's behavior.  I really think all powerful editors
will work this way in 10 years, as it's too useful a feature for others
to ignore for long.

> I'm still looking for an editor/IDE that supports everything I do, and
> works on all three platforms I need it on

Well, it doesn't work on Windows or Linux, but on the Mac, in my opinion
TextMate is the nicest editor around.  There are quite a few emacs/vim
converts in the community, who seem to be happily adjusted.

I think at the very least, every Mac user who deals with any significant
amount of structured text or code owes it to themselves to download the
30-day trial.  I estimate within 2 weeks, you'll be hooked ;)

-Jacob