[Pythonmac-SIG] IDLE and MacPython 2.5

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Nov 2 04:34:56 CET 2006

On 11/1/06, Jacob Rus <jrus at hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Bob Ippolito wrote:
> > Well, as a point of reference.. I bought TextMate because it's nice to
> > use for demos and such.. but I still use Vim for writing Python code
> > and Emacs for writing Erlang code.
> >
> > I never could get hooked on TextMate, despite trying. It just isn't as
> > convenient to use as what I'm used to... for example, I do quite a lot
> > of regexing, and that takes a lot more effort from TextMate.
>
> What is less convenient?  What regexing takes more effort?  Do you mean
> find/replace in your code type regexing here?  I'm sure Allan would be
> glad to hear any specific criticisms, and it would probably be possible
> to build
>
> Are there any features that could be added to make it more convenient?

It's a mechanics thing.. say in Vim I'd do:

<esc>%s/foo/bar/g

in TextMate I'd do:

<cmd-f>foo<tab>bar<ctrl-cmd-f><esc>

I find it a lot more natural to perform the former than the latter, so
I feel more productive in Vim.

Additionally I can use emacs and vim in a SSH session identically to
how I use it locally, which is a bonus at times. Getting used to Vim
for Python code just doesn't really buy me much. I liked TextMate
enough to pay for it, but I couldn't make the switch for most
programming tasks.