[Pythonmac-SIG] problem fixing Carbon.AE/CarbonX.AE conflicts

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Nov 9 17:49:35 CET 2006

On  9 Nov 2006, at 5:38 PM, has wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Trying to eliminate the conflict that occurs between Carbon.AE and
> CarbonX.AE when both extensions are loaded. The problem is that both
> extensions need to export the following functions for use by other
> extensions: AEDesc_New, AEDesc_NewBorrowed and AEDesc_Convert.
>
> The logical solution is to rename the CarbonX functions and have the
> other appscript-related extensions (PSN, OSA, OSATerminology) refer
> to those instead. Unfortunately, when I try to do this, all I get is
> a bunch of 'symbol not found' errors on import:

That's because there are hooks in the core interpreter for the Carbon
modules.  PyObjC's code contains an example of how top provide a C
API to other extensions without cooperation from the Python core is
to create a struct with function pointers, wrap that in a Python and
extract that struct again in the other extensions.

PyObjC contains an example of how to do this (the code in pyobjc-api.
[hm]).

Ronald