[Pythonmac-SIG] In need of an OS 10.4.8-compatible Universal binary built w/ gcc 3.3 (NOT 4.0)

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 23:59:20 CET 2006

David L Goldsmith wrote:
> Hi!  I'm experiencing a problem with scipy; its install notes say
> that it is not yet fully compatible with OSX and further say that in OSX
> one should ensure that one's gcc selection is set to 3.3.  Mine is, but
> I noticed that the Universal build Python binary I downloaded and am
> using was built w/ gcc 4.0.1.  Accordingly, I suspect this might be the
> basis of my problem - any idea where I might obtain an OSX-compatible
> Python built w/ gcc 3.3?  Thanks!

You can't do it. Universal binary capability was only added to gcc 4.0.

You are looking at somewhat old instructions. While there are still some
problems with gfortran (which only supports gcc 4.0 rather than g77 with only
supports gcc 3.x), they are few and minor.

Install a gfortran binary from this page:

  http://hpc.sourceforge.net

Then build scipy using --fcompiler=gnu95

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco