[Pythonmac-SIG] bdist_mpkg question: getting pytz included with matplotlib

Russell E Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Tue Nov 14 20:50:01 CET 2006

At 11:20 AM -0800 2006-11-14, Christopher Barker wrote:
>Russell E. Owen wrote:
>>Sorry to follow up my own posting, but I found one way to do it:
>>
>>modify matplotlib's setup.py file to always install dateutil and
>>pytz. It turns out normally only installs them if a version doesn't
>>already exist.
>
>I think it's a better idea to build mpkgs of dateutil and pytz, and
>put those up on pythonmac also. MPL is a library, not a complete,
>stand alone system, it's OK for it to have dependencies, as long as
>there is an easy way to find and install them.

I like this idea.

>>Perhaps this is a case for installing matplotlib using easy_install instead.
>
>eggs do have their advantages. I'd still like to see some (even very
>minimal) GUI way to install eggs, but until then, it's not that big
>deal to install them from the command line.
>
>We could certainly put binary eggs up on pythonmac too.

It's an interesting idea. I've never tried to create a binary egg
(though I know how in principal). I'm wondering if there are any
gotchas? I'm guessing I'll at least have to modify or create my own
setup.py file in many cases -- depending on how many changes are
required, that could be a disincentive (though if the original
packagers are willing to make their setup.py file egg-friendly, the
work could at least be only done once).

-- Russell