[Pythonmac-SIG] Using PyGame from Eclipse w/ PyDev, Cocoa Errors

Spencer Crissman spencer.crissman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 13:50:54 CET 2006

I've started trying to use pygame under os x.  When I develop w/ python
under windows, I use Eclipse + PyDev as my dev environment, so I am trying
to get the same thing working here, and have been successful for python
development on osx in general.  However, in trying to use pygame, I have run
into a snag.

The environment comes up and runs fine, but when I attempt to run the script
within the IDE, I get a ton of errors, of the form:
2006-11-16 07:36:49.700 python[1393] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object
0x394db0 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place - just
leaking
2006-11-16 07:36:49.700 python[1393] *** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object
0x3971a0 of class NSException autoreleased with no pool in place - just
leaking
2006-11-16 07:36:49.702 python[1393] *** Uncaught exception:
<NSInternalInconsistencyException> Error (1002) creating CGSWindow

If I run this same script from the command line, the entire thing works
fine.

This is my first pygame project, so I am largely using a simple example I
found online which ought to work.

I  can post the script if needed, but think perhaps the above error message
will be enough to find the error if someone is familiar with it.  I will say
that in searching the mailing list, someone else had a similar error message
once, which they resolved by calling pygame.init() instead of initializing
the modules manually.  I do call pygame.init() right off the bat in this
script, so I don't think that is the solution.

Relevant info:
OS X 10.3.9
Python 2.4
PyGame 1.8.0