[Pythonmac-SIG] Why Do I Explicitly Need MacPython

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 2 22:55:01 CEST 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> It's not a great idea to put a front-end on easy_install at this
> point. It would be an enormous amount of work for very little gain.
> It's also not at all designed such that it's easy to break what it's
> doing up into little chunks so that you can properly display status
> and whatnot from a GUI.

I wasn't imagining a lot of work -- just *something* that allows new
users to point and click at a egg and get something useful.

> Using easy_install is quite easy -- you type "easy_install
> WhatYouNeed" and press return. That's it. Users currently need some
> familiarity with Terminal in order to get anything done with Python
> anyway.

That's a good point, just the same. Now if just put a copy of
easy_install in the standard MacPython installer, we'd be one step in
the right direction.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov