[Pythonmac-SIG] Why Do I Explicitly Need MacPython

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Oct 3 08:27:15 CEST 2006

On Oct 2, 2006, at 11:12 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>> That's a good point, just the same. Now if just put a copy of
>> easy_install in the standard MacPython installer, we'd be one step in
>> the right direction.
>
> That would deviate from the norm where MacPython ships only with what
> comes with Python -- nothing third party (beyond dependencies of
> extensions that ship with Python).
>
> That said, I'm +0.

I'm -0 on this. Easy-install is very convenient and I wish it were
part of Python 2.5 but it isn't. MacPython is at this point in time
"just" the official binary distribution of the python.org tree.

Growing it beyond that (that is include third party libraries and
tools) could be useful, but even then I'd be more inclined towards
adding useful GUI tools than libraries.

Ronald