[Pythonmac-SIG] Why Do I Explicitly Need MacPython

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Tue Oct 3 23:49:59 CEST 2006

Charles Hartman wrote:

>> Using easy_install is quite easy -- you type "easy_install
>> WhatYouNeed" and press return. That's it. Users currently need some
>> familiarity with Terminal in order to get anything done with Python
>> anyway.
>
> But hasn't there been real progress toward making that not true?
> And isn't that a good thing? Can't Python be an OSX programming
> enrivonment rather than (as well as) a Darwin one?
>
> I suppose the simple way would be a tiny Applescript drag-and-drop
> that just called easy_install . . .

I already wrote a quick-n-dirty Studio frontend to distutils;
wouldn't be hard to add egg support to that:

http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/Distutils-GUI-1.2.1.dmg.gz

Lacks a little polish, mind you - it'd present better if it was an
all-in-one solution, rather than firing up Terminal to run distutils
and display the installation log.

HTH

has
--