[Pythonmac-SIG] Building plugins with py2app

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Thu Oct 12 15:59:02 CEST 2006

On 12-Oct-06, at 3:01 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Plugins are currently broken. This is a known issue... patches
> accepted, I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to it.

Can you give any more specifics about how it is broken.  I'm trying
to write an article about how easy it is to build plugins with PyObjC
and I'd really like it to be true again.  Is it documented somewhere
that plugins are broken?  I've already wasted a few days of my hobby
coding time trying to work around this.  And the plist thing doesn't
just happen with plugins: the reason I started the switch to
setuptools was that my icons stopped being added to applications
under distutils.  Unfortunately, setuptools not only didn't fix the
problem, it brought a host of other problems which I'm still digging
out from under.

And here I thought I was a late adopter of setuptools.

Hints about the known problems and where to begin with solving them
would be really appreciated.  Once I know what the problems are, I
could even take a stab at improving the documentation.

--Dethe

It was odd: even though I was pretty much being eaten alive, I didn't
really mind. I suppose it's the same sort of feeling Jesus had while
on the cross, or how Buddha felt when Mechabuddha beat him up in
downtown Tokyo. --AJ Packman