[Pythonmac-SIG] IDLE and MacPython 2.5

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Oct 25 13:34:57 CEST 2006

On Wednesday, October 25, 2006, at 01:07PM, Rodney Somerstein <rodneys at io.com> wrote:

>I downloaded Python 2.5 yesterday and am having a problem with the included IDLE. If I launch IDLE by double-clicking, it shows up in the task bar, then immediately goes away. I see no windows, menus, etc. for the program. If I type IDLE at the command line, IDLE 1.2 launches with no problem. The icon in the task bar appears to be Python Launcher in that case, not IDLE.
>
>If I launch the IDLE.app from MacPython 2.4 by double-clicking, it launches IDLE 1.1.3 with no problems.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions? Is IDLE.app broken under MacPython 2.5? While I can launch it from terminal, it is definitely more convenient to just double-click. I am using IDLE because I have been working my way through the O'Reilly Learning Python book at a glacial pace over the last year or more and it is nice to have a simple Python-aware interactive editor.

IDLE works for me. Could you tell me more about the version of OSX you're using (and if 10.4, if you're on intel or  ppc).

For the record, if you are running 10.3.9: IDLE uses Tk for its GUI, you'll have to download and install that seperately:
    http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/

This doesn't seem to be a problem for you as launching IDLE from the command-line works right.

Ronald