[Pythonmac-SIG] Opening Tkinter X11 windows in remote displays

Jose Hales-Garcia jose at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 30 22:37:34 CET 2006

Sorry if this has been asked already.

We're trying to get the Python Tkinter's widgets to appear remotely
on an X11 server.  So far we're only able to open widgets on the
local console.  Trying to get them to appear remotely results in the
error message...

kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of
session allowed for root and console user only
INIT_Processeses(), could not establish the default connection to the
WindowServer.Abort

This is a problem with the Apple version of Python (v2.3.5) and the
latest pre-compiled universal Python (v2.5).  We're running Mac OS X
10.4.8 on both client and server.  I've double checked the settings.
In SSH we have X11Forwarding turned on.  The .Xauthority file
contains the correct host information.  I've set the DISPLAY variable
correctly.

I am able to open X11 windows on the remote server.  For instance,
the R statistics package can open windows remotely.

Thank you for your time,
Jose