[Pythonmac-SIG] Another tcl/tk problem with python--PIL this time

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Tue Oct 31 23:18:00 CET 2006

In article <FE16AEF6-F3E2-44C2-B6C4-E31050F57FE8 at mac.com>,
 Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2006, at 11:37 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:
>

> > This is another plea for the _tkinter.so that comes with the standard
> > macpython to be set up to look for a Tcl/Tk first in
> > /Library/Frameworks, then in /System/Library/Frameworks. I think the
> > packages would have just worked fine with that change (though i've not
> > ripped out my Tcl/Tk to prove that).
>
> Please test again using Python 2.5, and probably 2.4.4 as well.
> Python 2.5 definitely links against /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework.
> That was entirely unintentional, I didn't know I had a local Tk install.

I just tried it for Python 2.4.4 and you are right. Great!

Any chance of doing it intentionally from now on? :)

I'm holding off installing 2.5 for now because I have doubts that
Numeric and numarray will work with it (due to the change to array
indices for C extensions that is intended to support 64 bit computing);
I'm planning to migrate my application to numpy before adopting 2.5. Is
there an easy way to install the 2.5 from binary without it becoming the
"current" version? I'd be happy to have it around to play with. (I think
I hacked it once by installing 2.5b, ditching the receipt, then
installing 2.4.x, but I'm not sure it's Kosher).

Thank you very much for supporting user-added Tcl/Tk in the standard Mac
installer for Python 2.4.4 and 2.5.

-- Russell