[Pythonmac-SIG] Steps needed to get cvs2svn working on Panther or Tiger (solution)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Sep 18 21:42:33 CEST 2006

On 9/18/06, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> Gerben Wierda wrote:
> >> what shell are you using?
> >
> > bash (default shell). But my env has not been changed by the Universal pkg.
> >
> > hermione-a:~ gerben$ which python
> > /usr/bin/python
> >
> > PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current
> >

> > I also would wonder if that would be something that the Universal .pkg
> > should do. It would mean that I would get a new python when I call
> > system utitlities that use Python from the command line (because it
> > would have to be inserted at the start of my PATH and that is generally
> > taken as not the right thing to do)
>
> A) system scripts should have the path to Python hard coded:
>
> #!/usr/bin/python
>
> B) The installer is only supposed to alter your login shell PATH, so
> anything called by the system won't be effected.
>
> > But anyway, Universal pkg did not set up my PATH for my command line shell.
>
> Curious:
>
> Ronald and/or Bob: isn't it supposed to have? I know it did mine:

There's three different login scripts that bash can use.. The 2.4.3
postflight script knows how to patch .profile and .bash_profile... but
if a .bash_login exists and .bash_profile does not exist then it will
create a .profile that is never used. Perhaps that is what happened?

Either that, or he has yet to start a new terminal window since
installing Python...