[Pythonmac-SIG] Steps needed to get cvs2svn working on Panther or Tiger (solution)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Sep 18 22:28:52 CEST 2006

On Sep 18, 2006, at 10:11 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2006, at 21:42 , Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> Universal pkg.

>>> teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current

>>> Universal .pkg
>>> generally
>>>
>>> A) system scripts should have the path to Python hard coded:
>>>
>>> #!/usr/bin/python
>>>
>>> B) The installer is only supposed to alter your login shell PATH, so
>>> anything called by the system won't be effected.

>>> line shell.
>>>
>>> Curious:
>>>
>>> Ronald and/or Bob: isn't it supposed to have? I know it did mine:
>>>

>> There's three different login scripts that bash can use.. The 2.4.3
>> postflight script knows how to patch .profile and .bash_profile...
>> but
>> if a .bash_login exists and .bash_profile does not exist then it will
>> create a .profile that is never used. Perhaps that is what happened?
>
> That is exactly what has happened.
>
> Just a remark. Changing ~/.profile btw is not what I would expect
> from a package like this. You are installing a system-wide tool and
> you are only opening it to the user that has installed it (instead of
> say, changing /etc/profile). Secondly, there is this thing that you
> are doing something that may be forwned upon (PATH entry added at the
> start of the PATH), so at least it would be good to warn the user
> about it with some panel. Easy to do with a different (open source)
> Mac OS X installer (http://www.rna.nl/ii.html ;-) ;-) ;-)

The initial screen of the 2.5 installer warns about this, patches to
improve the message are welcome ;-).  I don't like the idea of using
another installer, the current installer can be used with remote
managment tools like Apple Remote Desktop.

BTW. You can disable the profile patch feature, it is an optional
subpackage (as noted in the 2.5 welcome screen).

The reason I haven't added code to patch /etc/profile and /etc/
csh.login is that these files are technically Apple-owned and could
be patched in software update. I haven't looked for statements about
this, but I have had patches to other files in /etc reverted by
software update patches (specifically /etc/rc).

Another reason for not patching files in /etc/ is that the current
scheme allows users to choose whether they want to use the updated
profile or not. Its also helpful for my peace of mind that even if I
botched up the patching process a user can login using another
account to fix the issue ;-)

I'm not particularly attached to the current behaviour, we could
switch to another scheme in a future version of python.

Ronald