[Pythonmac-SIG] Why Do I Explicitly Need MacPython

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Sep 20 22:56:23 CEST 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 10:46 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On 9/20/06, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> The MacPorts folks have over 300 ports that are python related, I
>> assume they actually test their ports ;-).  As Bob noted MacPython is
>> supported by the Python community, "we" also maintain the mac port,
>> macports and fink just repackage that.
>
> I'm pretty sure they don't test all of them beyond "setup.py
> install" working.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me, they have a limited set of port
maintainers and those can't possibly use all ports that are up there.

The MacPorts python24 port is a bit odd, I don't agree with some of
their patches. Time to get moving on finishing my backport of the 2.5
universal-binary patches to the 2.4 tree and getting those in before
2.4.4 is released :-)

Ronald