[Pythonmac-SIG] Why Do I Explicitly Need MacPython

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Sep 23 20:55:26 CEST 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 8:01 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> In article
> <6a36e7290609201721v4f8725aet97b74b27c225deea at mail.gmail.com>,
>  "Bob Ippolito" <bob at redivi.com> wrote:

>>> I've started looking into that. However, my strong suspicion is
>>> that the
>>> way to build a MacPython installer that can use a user-installed
>>> Tcl/Tk
>>> is to *have* a user-installed Tcl/Tk installed before building
>>> python
>>> for the MacPython installer package.
>>
>> That's one way, another is to use install_name_tool as part of the
>> build procedure to change what _tkinter.so looks for, and a third is
>> to include a subset of a recent Tcl/Tk in the build like the Win32
>> installer does. The third option is ideal as far as how we do
>> everything else goes.
>
> I confess I've not figured out how this would work. Where would the
> installed Tcl/Tk go, to avoid colliding with a user-installed Tcl/Tk.
>
> I'm a bit happier using a user-installed Tcl/Tk (if found) because
> it's
> still not completely stable and the user should easily be able to
> upgrade to a newer (less buggy) version if one comes along.
>
>> Personally, I don't care much about this issue. I don't use Tcl/Tk
>> Aqua, and it seems the only third party builds readily and obviously
>> available are PPC-only, and I use a MacBook Pro. Creating a bug
>> and/or
>> patch makes it a lot more likely that something will happen
>> (especially a patch).
>
> I wasn't sure what to patch, so I submitted bug report #1563046.
>
> The bug report includes a python script that (based on your recipe)
> modifies _tkinter.so to use a user-installed framework Tcl/Tk if it
> finds one.
>
> I'm hoping the script will run as part of the installation of
> MacPython.

As I noted in a comment in that bugreport I'm not to keen on that. I
don't mind shipping the script ( or a GUI version of it) in the
application folder for users that want to switch to a newer Tk, or
even ship a minimal version of Tcl/Tk inside the Python.framework,
but running this script during installation means that (a) the script
must be 100% correct in all situations and (b) we'll end up with
Python installations that are slightly different which won't be fun
to investigate when someone reports a problem with tkinter.
Especially because users might not even realize they have a copy of
Tk in /Library/Frameworks.

Ronald