[Pythonmac-SIG] on a tangent from new icons

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Sep 25 19:18:47 CEST 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 5:17 PM, Jacob Rus wrote:

> Hi again everyone,
>
> So a few months later, I started wondering again about some of
> these things.
>
> On April 22, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>> On 21-apr-2006, at 22:44, Jacob Rus wrote:
>>> While we're adding a bunch of icons to Mac Python, and editing
>>> Info.plist files, and so on, I think we might as well make a
>>> few other changes:
>>>
>>>   1. If it doesn't already, I think Mac Python should ship
>>> with a  python spotlight importer (I got one somewhere else,
>>> but should be default)
>>
>> For the moment anything in the official installer needs to be
>> part of the official python.org distribution. Anything else
>> needs to be installed seperately for now.
>>
>> That may change in the future, but not until I've had time to
>> think about the issues and write down a proposal about what to
>> include and what not.
>
> Do you think it would be possible to get an mdimporter included in
> the python.org distribution?  What's lacking for that to happen?
> It would be good to have an importer for python

Adding an mdimporter should be possible. What's lacking is someone
that donates one ;-)

>>>   2. Let's export some UTI's for .pyc/.pyo files and .egg
>>> files (maybe public.python-bytecode and public.python-egg or
>>> something, or maybe they need to be org.python.python-bytecode,
>>> etc.)
>>
>> At least some of these are part of the OS. It can't hurt to add
>> these UTIs to the Info.plist for IDLE of course.
>
> So names seem to have gotten added to the plists, but never any
> UTI's.  I still get dynamic UTI's for compiled python scripts and
> eggs.  Regular python scripts have the content type tree:
>
> 	"public.python-script",
> 	"public.shell-script",
> 	"public.script",
> 	"public.source-code",
> 	"public.plain-text",
> 	"public.text",
> 	"public.data",
> 	"public.item",
> 	"public.content"
>
> I'm not sure exactly what the UTI's for eggs and pyc files should
> be, but we should figure it out and add them.
>
> In fact, because none of the applications which ship with official
> python claim any ownership over eggs at all, we can't even get that
> nice egg icon that took so long to get right. I'm not sure if
> there's any GUI app which can deal with eggs, but it would maybe
> even be good to assign them to an app which can't deal with them,
> just for the sake of the icon.  :)

It would be better to have an application that knows how to deal with
eggs. This is unlikely to get into the python distribution before
setuptools is added there as well, but that's not necessarily a bad
thing.

>> Now that we (almost) have new icons it would be great if someone
>> could have a look at IDLE and at the very least writes down what
>> could be done to make it a better OSX citizen. Actual patches
>> would of course even be better.
>>
>> Please keep in mind that IDLE is a cross-platform application
>> using tkinter and that it is probably virtually impossible to
>> make it a really great OSX application.
>
> I'm not volunteering (and therefore not complaining), and I don't
> use IDLE myself and am not likely to start any time, but this would
> still be nice to see.  Anyone?

IDLE in Python2.5 is probably as good as its get without major
surgery (either port IDLE to Tix, a Tk extension claims to offer a
better native L&F, or replace the entire GUI layer by something better).

BTW. MacPython 2.4.3 is a minor fork of the official 2.4 tree, I'll
port the changes for 2.5 except for the fixes to IDLE to the official
2.4 tree for Python 2.4.4.

BTW2. We have a nice icon for a python folder and python DMG, neither
of which are used at the moment. The folder one was used until I ran
into an issue in creating the installer, that will be fixed before
2.4.4 and 2.5.1 is out. The DMG one isn't used yet because I haven't
found a way yet to programmaticly attach an icon to the DMG. Does
anyone here have a script that attaches an icon to a DMG or creates a
DMG with a custom icon? Preferably something that doesn't use 3th-
party software and can be run GUI-less.

Ronald