[Pythonmac-SIG] Which distribution?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Sep 26 03:33:46 CEST 2006

On 9/25/06, John Fouhy <john at fouhy.net> wrote:
> On 26/09/06, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
> > On 9/25/06, John Fouhy <john at fouhy.net> wrote:
> > > Ok, let me ask a different question: What do I lose if I go to macports?
> > GUI apps, support from here (very few people here can help you with
> > macports), universal binaries, creating redistributable
> > applications...
>
> Sorry, what do you mean by saying that I'd lose GUI apps?  I'm mainly
> familiar with wxPython as a GUI toolkit; is wxPython not supported by
> macports? -- hmm, actually, from looking at wxpython.org, I guess it's
> not?  In which case, that's a deciding factor for me :-)

Native Mac OS X GUI apps are generally only supported with MacPython.
I can't speak for MacPorts' wxPython capabilities, but wxPython.org
provides binary installers specifically for MacPython. People are
using those to build real applications.

The big difference is that if you use MacPython you can build a
self-contained .app bundle and give it to someone else on a Mac (PPC
*or* x86) and it will (most likely) just work. With MacPorts you're
going to have to tell them to "port install" all of the dependencies
and send them the scripts.

How about you just go install something and try it out? It takes mere
seconds to download and click "Next" a few times (depending on your
connection of course). Let us know if you have any questions based on
actual usage.