[Pythonmac-SIG] Why Do I Explicitly Need MacPython

Frank Niessink frank at niessink.com
Tue Sep 26 20:51:21 CEST 2006

Russell E Owen:
> At 5:05 PM +0200 2006-09-23, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>> ...I'm -0 on adding support for DMGs.  Using a DMG doesn't buy
>> enough over a zip to warrant spending time on it.
>
> I was offering my own time. I've found them helpful for two reasons:
> - They can be reliably opened. I used to distribute my app as a zip
> archive, but for some reason some of my users tried to use old
> versions of Stuffit Expander instead of the built in BOMHelper to
> unpack them, resulting in an unusable application. I've had no such
> complaints since switching to .dmg files (yet; I suppose some user,
> somewhere, has figured out how to mis-open dmg files).
> - Convenient for the user: no disk clutter and need to discard the
> unpacked package when finished. Just eject.

Maybe I missed it (or maybe there are disadvantages I am not aware of),
but I think I did not see the suggestion to simply use the hdiutil
command. The snippet below is part of the Makefile for building a Task
Coach release. The make.py is a distutil script that creates
TaskCoach.app. hdiutil then packages the app as a dmg:

macdist: icons i18n
         $(PYTHON) make.py py2app
         hdiutil create -ov -imagekey zlib-level=9 -srcfolder
build/TaskCoach.app dist/TaskCoach.dmg

HTH, Frank