[Pythonmac-SIG] Why Do I Explicitly Need MacPython

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Wed Sep 27 17:29:36 CEST 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 10:45, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> You can use bdist_mpkg from the setup script and add additional
> subpackages that way. PyObjC uses this to ship the examples and
> Xcode templates, this is implemented setup-lib/pyobjc_mpkg.py in
> the PyObjC source-tree.

Thanks, I'll look at this.

> PyObjC's installer also used to include dependencies, but that
> functionality got dropped with the move to setuptools. I want to
> restore this functionality because as you said it is very
> convenient to have a single installer that installs a  package and
> all of its dependencies, even in a world where setuptools exists.

What I was looking for is actually a bit more modest: I want to
create an installer that checks that all dependencies are fulfilled.
Bundling everything in one installer is not always a good idea, as it
could easily overwrite an already existing installation of some
component.

Konrad.