[Pythonmac-SIG] easy_install question

Ulysses Known gardenmadman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 14:46:08 CEST 2007

On 4/23/07, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
> On 23 Apr, 2007, at 3:44, Ulysses Known wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just used easy_install to install a package on OSX 10.4.9 (MacBook
> > Pro) and noted that the built egg has the following name:
> >
> > FOO-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg
> >
> > How do I configure easy install to build Intel only binaries for 10.4?
>
> Why do you want to do that?

Ronald, thanks for your response.

Well, since easy_install pulled down and built the package on this
machine (a very slick and easy install indeed!) I see no need to have
PPC binaries on it, since I would use that same install process on a
PPC box.

> Anyway, you'll have to change the setup.py to build intel-only
> binaries. You have to add extra_link_args and and extra_compile_args
> to all, both of them ['-arch', 'i386'].

So I found setup.py and sections that build native code INSIDE the
distributed tarball.  I see how this would work, but this makes the
slick and easy install not so easy.

I was wondering more along the lines of distutils.cfg so that I would
set it once for this system and then have it affect all the installs
thereafter.

Perhaps this is not possible, however I do see the following egg names
through google so I wonder if it is possible:

numpy-1.0.2.dev3507-py2.5-macosx-10.4-i386.egg

Thanks for your help.