[Pythonmac-SIG] easy_install question

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 23 19:47:05 CEST 2007

Ulysses Known wrote:
> The answer (implied, but not explicitly stated) it that this is not
> possible, and that on OSX python installs with easy_install are
> targeted at OSX 10.3 and Universal binaries.

not quite. easy_install uses distutils (or a modified version, anyway),
which builds extensions to match the python it is run with. As pointed
out here, there is little reason to have Intel only binaries, but if you
really want them, then fin d(or build yourself) an Intel-only python,
then it will build Intel-only extensions. (I think -- I've had no reason
to try it)

By the way, it's possible that the Intel-only numpy was partly built
with Fortran, and no one seems to have figured out how to make gfortran
build universal binaries yet. (or maybe it's using ATLAS).

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov