[Pythonmac-SIG] StuffIt 10 can corrupt applications packaged with py2app

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Wed Apr 25 15:17:46 CEST 2007

2007/4/25, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com>:

> I've had other strange problems with StuffIt's zip support that aren't
> directly relevant to py2app. For example I have a folder full of a
> bunch of text files (ActionScript source code) and if I zip it with
> BOMArchiveHelper, Python, *or* the zip command line tool then StuffIt
> refuses to unpack the archive with a strange error code. I actually
> have to use StuffIt or Windows to pack the archives in order to get
> something that is unpackable by StuffIt.

Last week one of my customers complained he couldn't read a PDF that I
compressed with the OSX 10.4 "system zipper" (BOMArchiveHelper, I guess). He
used Stuffit on OS 9.2 to expand.
I tried again with GNU Zip, and that worked.

So I guess it's not only StuffIt that fails, but also the BOMArchiveHelper
that creates ZIPs with resource fork included, which isn't really standard -
is it?

StuffIt should die. It's sad that they broke the only de facto
> standard for cross-platform archives :(

"It's clear that the pig must die!" (The Hunting of the Snark)  ;-)

Greetlings, Hraban