[Pythonmac-SIG] StuffIt 10 can corrupt applications packaged with py2app

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Apr 25 22:11:05 CEST 2007

On 25 Apr, 2007, at 18:56, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Brian Christensen wrote:
>
>> I finally found a user (Michael) who had both the problem and the
>> technical skills to track down the cause.
>
> Wow! thanks for reporting this!
>
> If a *.dmg is a better bet, then:
>
> 1) is there a point-and-click and/or drag-and-drop way to create
> *.dmgs?
>
> 2) I don't think that *.dmgs are compressed, is it good practice to
> compress the resulting *.dmg (*.dmg.zip)

You can create compressed DMGs, zipping them is unnecessary if you
use the right options when creating the image.

> Ideally, I'd like to get a "Make Disk Image" option when I right click
> in Finder, just like current "Create Archive" option. Does anyone know
> how to add an item to that menu?

You can get quite close with an automator workflow. The default
install of Automator includes an rather lame action for creating a
DMG, the link below points to an action that is slightly better (but
still not good enough to replicate the "Create Archive" menu.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/
creatediskimagefromfiles.html

I'd like a action that has the option to automaticly place the
resulting archive in the folder containing the source items, but
haven't found one yet and don't want it badly to write one myself
(which should be easy enough).

Ronald