[Pythonmac-SIG] does pkg_resources think that "macosx-10.3" is incompatible with 10.5?

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Dec 17 17:10:32 CET 2007

On 21 Nov, 2007, at 20:59, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> BTW. The first part of the fix is changing '<' to '>=' in the first
> test. That doesn't fix the issue though, the config/Makefile in
> Apple's Python.framework isn't configured for building universal
> binaries.
>
> And to make matters even worse: I'm pretty sure that setuptools used
> to know that 'fat' builds are compatible with 'i386' and 'ppc'
> architectures (at least on OSX), but that code no longer seems to be
> there.
>
> I'll see if I can check in a fix for the bogus if-statement tomorrow
> morning (both in the trunk and the 2.5 branch), that way python 2.5.2
> will at least behave correctly. I don't know if have time to work on a
> patch for setuptools though.
>
> I'll have to contact PJE about universal builds vs. setuptools anyway
> (through distutils-sig) to discuss how to deal with 4-way universal
> eggs.

What is the status on this issue?  Can I safely assume that Python 2.5.2 and
Python 2.6 will be able to produce and consume eggs correctly on Mac OS X?
Is there a bug tracker where I can check the status of this issue?

For reference, here is the tracker entry in the allmydata.org tahoe issue
tracker:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/212

Regards,

Zooko