[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie Mac switcher trying to set up django on Intel MacBook Pro Tiger

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Dec 20 16:02:28 CET 2007

On Dec 20, 2007, at 5:35 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>> never provided an update within an OS-X version. (For example, if
>> nothing else, the Apple python with Leopard doesn't build Universal
>> Binaries when you use setup.py)
>
> That's easily fixable. I'm thinking about reviving Jack's MacPython
> addons idea: a small .mpkg that will install IDLE.app, a 64-bit
> command-line interpreter and some small fixes (such as the distutiles
> one).  That should make Leopard's builtin python a lot more useable
> without requireing people to basicly install the same version of
> python that is already on their system.
>
> My only problem in this regard is a complete lack of time to do this
> in :-(.

That would be cool.  I'm optimistic that Apple will maintain Python
better this time around (heck, the last security update already
included one for python, tho I didn't see what that was).

I've been thinking of trying to build a 64bit python executable
myself, to run some non-carbon based python stuff.  Lack of time here,
too, but it's quieting down so I may look at it soon.