[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie Mac switcher trying to set up django on Intel MacBook Pro Tiger

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Dec 21 09:48:03 CET 2007

On 20 dec 2007, at 12:35, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> That's easily fixable. I'm thinking about reviving Jack's MacPython
> addons idea: a small .mpkg that will install IDLE.app, a 64-bit
> command-line interpreter and some small fixes (such as the distutiles
> one).  That should make Leopard's builtin python a lot more useable
> without requireing people to basicly install the same version of
> python that is already on their system.

I think this would be a very good idea, even if only from a
"political" point of view.
Even though I've been an open source developer since long before the
word existed I find that I'm getting sick and tired of the reinvent-
the-world attitude that is far too common in the open source community.

If I am new to Python on the Mac and I've played with Apple Python a
little, but as soon as I want to install one little add-on module I
have to first replace the whole existing Python with something new
(and not directly Apple-endorsed) I might just drop out. And at the
very least it's mightily inconvenient. Also note that the chances that
the distutils fix or the 64-bit fix are likely to affect me are
exactly zero (the "newcomer me" from this paragraph, not the "flesh
and blood Jack" me:-).
Goldman