[Pythonmac-SIG] Leopard easy_install chokes on appscript egg

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Dec 23 16:23:06 CET 2007

Has,

On 21 Dec, 2007, at 22:37, has wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just ran into the following problem when trying to install appscript
> 0.18.0 into Leopard's default Python installation via easy_install
> (setuptools 0.6c3):
>
> has$ /usr/bin/easy_install appscript
> Searching for appscript
> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/appscript/
> Reading http://appscript.sourceforge.net
> Reading http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/appscript.html
> Best match: appscript 0.18.0
> Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/a/appscript/appscript-0.18.0.tar.gz#md5
> =8c013f0489349f145089c71d6d747859
> Processing appscript-0.18.0.tar.gz
> Running appscript-0.18.0/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /var/
> folders/
> p+/p+pBAQxKE-S81g-RmJ1K8U+++TI/-Tmp-/easy_install-7MwieU/
> appscript-0.18.0/egg-dist-tmp-deTIQh
> Traceback (most recent call last):

[...]
> -TypeError: Error when calling the metaclass bases
>     first argument must be callable
>

> Two things:
>
> 1. Any ideas on why it's selecting the .tar.gz version rather than
> the .egg? (Note: the egg was built using my own Python 2.5
> installation, rather than the Apple one.)

That's a buglet in Python, fixed in what will be 2.5.2. Apple's python
doesn't do universal binaries and setuptools doesn't know that an
'fat' egg will do on a 'ppc' or 'i386' platform.

> 2. I get the above traceback when easy_install tries to use the
> source-
> based appscript. This occurs with Leopard's own Python 2.5 and the
> Python 2.4 installation I keep around for testing purposes. Any
> guesses on what's going wrong? I'm not that familiar with setuptools
> and its error reporting leaves something to be desired, so I don't
> even know if the problem lies with it or appscript's setup.py script.

My guess is that this a buglet in setuptools sandboxing code. Can you
build an egg using Apple's python and install that (that is run
'setup.py bdist_egg' and then install that egg.

Ronald