[Pythonmac-SIG] Leopard easy_install chokes on appscript egg

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Mon Dec 31 14:43:19 CET 2007

(Profuse apologies for the late reply...)

On 23 Dec 2007, at 15:23, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>> 1. Any ideas on why it's selecting the .tar.gz version rather than
>> the .egg? (Note: the egg was built using my own Python 2.5
>> installation, rather than the Apple one.)
>
> That's a buglet in Python, fixed in what will be 2.5.2. Apple's
> python doesn't do universal binaries and setuptools doesn't know
> that an 'fat' egg will do on a 'ppc' or 'i386' platform.

OK, ta. Any advice on creating .eggs that will work for 10.5's brain-
damaged Python install, both for PPC and i386? (While I have 10.4 on
both PPC and i386, I have 10.5 on i386 only.)

>> 2. I get the above traceback when easy_install tries to use the
>> source-
>> based appscript. This occurs with Leopard's own Python 2.5 and the
>> Python 2.4 installation I keep around for testing purposes. Any
>> guesses on what's going wrong? I'm not that familiar with setuptools
>> and its error reporting leaves something to be desired, so I don't
>> even know if the problem lies with it or appscript's setup.py script.
>
> My guess is that this a buglet in setuptools sandboxing code. Can
> you build an egg using Apple's python and install that (that is run
> 'setup.py bdist_egg' and then install that egg.

The following seems to work ok:

cd appscript-0.18.0
/usr/bin/python setup.py bdist_egg
cd dist