[Pythonmac-SIG] How to build Python 2.5 to support 64-bits on Mac OS X 10.4

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Fri Feb 2 02:39:07 CET 2007

On 01/02/2007, at 10:00 PM, Dr. Harold Walter Schranz wrote:
> While the configure runs ... the make eventually fails with:
>
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/
> CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/fp.h:
> 1338: error: 'SIGDIGLEN' undeclared here (not in a function)
> make: *** [Python/mactoolboxglue.o] Error 1

Your build is failing because it is trying to use Carbon which is 32
bit only.  You either have to build without any GUI items which
should work or with rather more effort, you could probably build an X-
windows UNIX style 64bit build.  That would need 64 bit Xwindows
which is not supplied but can be built from the sources.  I have not
done it but I know some one who has.  There may even be a binary
around somewhere.  Since X communicates with its server via a network
socket one might get away with only some 64 bit libraries, but I am
not an expert on X.

Is it really worth all the hassle when Leopard is going to be out in
a few months??

Bill Northcott