[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter Question...

Jerry LeVan jerry.levan at eku.edu
Wed Feb 7 00:28:58 CET 2007

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my Mac to ActiveTCL from Tk Aqua. It appears
that tcl/tk 8.4.14 works much more smoothly than apple's 8.4.0.

I am trying to port some of my tcl stuff to python ( MacPython 2.4.3).
I am using tkinter for the gui.

It appears that tkinter.so is linked to the tk in /System/Library...
(ie the old apple version) instead of the tk in /Library/Frameworks/
Tk....

This means that the interface is sorta clunky ie the window zoom buttons
don't work, scroll controls in the lower right corner get covered up,
scrolling and selection are a bit flakey...

Is it possible to build tkinter against a more modern tk? If so, how?

(Reading the forums at ActiveState on Python seems to indicate that
ActiveStates tkinter for the Mac ( I have a G4) also links against
the old Apple Tk.)

Thanks,

Jerry