[Pythonmac-SIG] Confused about framework build

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Feb 27 14:20:08 CET 2007

Hi,

I am coming to Mac Python development after several years on Windows and
I am a bit confused by the Python framework stuff.

I have installed the framework build of Python 2.4 from pythonmac.org.

Questions:
- How can I have Python 2.4 and 2.5 both available? I am developing a
web site that will be deployed under 2.4 but I would like to have 2.5
available for other use. pythonmac.org says, "framework builds of the
same thing do not coexist peacefully." What is the problem with
installing multiple framework builds? Can I install the MacPorts version
of Python 2.5 (for command line use) instead?

- Do I have to install the pythonmac version of add-on libraries? For
example pythonmac has pysqlite2 version 2.2.2 but MacPorts has version
2.3.3; can I install the more recent MacPorts version and use it with
the framework build? Similarly MacPorts has a more recent version of
psycopg.

Any help or pointers to help gratefully accepted.

Thanks,
Kent