[Pythonmac-SIG] Compiling Scipy/available binaries for Universal Python 2.4?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 05:18:30 CET 2007

David Warde-Farley wrote:
> On 11-Jan-07, at 8:29 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> Well I'm back in the country now and I just got my mbp back from
>> applecare today... so if "someone" sends me updated binaries I'll
>> gladly sync them to pythonmac.org.
>
> I would do it but again, I'm not sure my binaries are "good" i.e.
> completely universal, I get a number of "can't figure out
> architecture" warnings for stuff when I build numpy, nor am I really
> sure how to do all of that .mpkg packaging stuff (much less in a way
> that alerts users of the gfortran dependency of SciPy).

Yes, this is a problem. The builds of numpy and scipy are not Universal. I don't
see a reason why numpy *shouldn't* be, but distutils thinks it isn't, so it
isn't. scipy *can't* be Universal until gfortran grows that capability.

> That and I'm still not sure my NumPy/SciPy are linking properly
> against Apple's veclib for fast linear algebra goodness. scipy.test()
> tells me that the module cblas is empty, and that it's using fblas.

Well, it's linking just fine, but vecLib removed the ATLAS version information
that the scipy build system uses to determine whether or not to build the
wrappers for the C versions of the BLAS subroutines that ATLAS and vecLib
provide. And the C versions of LAPACK subroutines are simply missing.

Neither are necessary, though, just nice to have.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco