[Pythonmac-SIG] Opening an app from another app under different OSX versions

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Wed Jan 24 20:07:05 CET 2007

On 24-Jan-07, at 10:13 AM, David Woods wrote:

> Adding the path didn't help.  Calling "open -a TransanaHelp.app"
> from the
> command line finds the app, and adding the full path makes is start
> a bit
> faster.  But when the same call is made from within my bundled Python
> program (regardless of whether the path is included), I see the
> following in
> the console:
>
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/Applications/Transana_2/TransanaHelp.app/Contents/MacOS/
> TransanaHelp",
> line 3, in ?
>     import sys, os
> ImportError: No module named os
>
> So it seems, if I'm interpreting this right, like Python's not able
> to find
> its own modules under this particular scenario.  Line 3 of
> TransanaHelp.py,
> by the way, is not the import statement shown here.  That line 3 is
> of some
> internal Python routine that's not part of my code.

I had a problem like this when first moving from distutils-based
setup files to setuptools-based setup files.  Getting the latest
version of py2app may help.

--Dethe

Copyrights may have been an efficient mechanism to support creative
and artistic work in the middle ages, but they don’t work very well
in the Internet Age. --Dean Baker