[Pythonmac-SIG] Can someone help me reverse engineer this installer?

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Tue Jul 10 17:12:48 CEST 2007

On Jul 3, 2007, at 9:19 AM, skip at pobox.com wrote:

> A long time ago Sam Thorne created a Mac installer for SpamBayes.
> It's
> referenced here:
>
>     http://entrian.com/sbwiki/MacOSXPackage
>
> and source is available here:
>
>     http://www.s-j-t.co.uk/SpamBayes/SpamBayesPkg%200.5.zip

This contains pmsp which should be upgraded to a pmproj.
PackageMaker.app will do this for you.

The package maker project is fairly self-explanatory.  The "Contents
Root" should probably be changed to a relative path.

One thing to take in consideration is that there is a "postflight"
and "postinstall" scripts that get ran at the appropriate time during
the install. They will may be found in the "SpamBayesPkg 0.5/
SpamBayes/Package_resources" directory. Installer.app knows to run
these because of how they are named.

The install simply copies the files from what is found in "SpamBayes/
Package_contents/"  to "/". So the three big items that get installed
are:

/Library/StartupItems/SpamBayes
/Library/Python/2.3
/Library/SpamBayes/

The postinstall script adds SPAMBAYES=-YES- to the /etc/hostconfig

The postflight script starts SpamBayes (simulating the way this will
be done during boot using SystemStarter) and opens the url http://
localhost:8880, presumably where SpamBayes runs..

> The binary package here:
>
>     http://www.s-j-t.co.uk/SpamBayes/SpamBayesPackage.pkg.tgz
>
> won't untar for me.  It complains about a "lone zero block at 678".

I get the same error. Must be corrupt.

Brian Ray
bray at sent.com
http://kazavoo.com/blog