[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac oriented Python book (was: no subject)

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Wed Jul 11 07:03:27 CEST 2007

To quote Autodesk/Alias's site:
"Python
Python, a powerful and accessible scripting language, is now
available within Maya. Not only has Python been integrated into the
software at the same level as the Maya Embedded Language (MEL), its
bindings to the OpenMaya API give you an alternative language for
plug-in development. Plus, the Maya Python modules can be imported
into an external standalone Python interpreter for batch processing.
With its higher-level language constructs, Python supports developer
productivity while providing easily maintainable code. The language
is also highly extensible, with a broad collection of third-party
tools and modules freely available"

Wow. MEL has always been the way to script Maya from Day One. I am
shocked and surprised they opened up to a standard scripting
language. But I think it is great news. Granted I always wondered why
these vendors ignored open standard languages in an egotistical rush
to do their own, but at least Autodesk/Alias seems to be waking up.
That is great news.If only Maya complete wasn't so expensive at
$7000...I'd love to have those Navier-Stokes Fluid Dynamics models
they showed off in the Perfect Storm. I have sea kayaked in rough
Pacific seas a bit and had just a hint of the wrath of the ocean.
Those models in that film made it seem real to me. Oh well.