[Pythonmac-SIG] findertools.launch reports "no eligible process"

Drew Houston drew at getdropbox.com
Fri Jun 8 09:28:43 CEST 2007

hi there,

i was wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior with the
findertools.launch() function. the docs indicate that when given a
pathname, launch(path) will launch a Finder window with that path. but
when i try to launch any valid path i get this error:

 >>> os.path.exists("/Users/drew/Documents")
True
 >>> findertools.launch("/Users/drew/Documents")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/python2.4/plat-mac/findertools.py",
line 45, in launch
    return finder.open(fss)
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/python2.4/plat-mac/lib-scriptpackages/Finder/Standard_Suite.py",
line 248, in open
    _arguments, _attributes)
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/python2.4/plat-mac/aetools.py",
line 226, in send
    return self.sendevent(self.newevent(code, subcode, parameters,
attributes))
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/python2.4/plat-mac/aetools.py",
line 220, in sendevent
    self.send_timeout)
MacOS.Error: (-600, 'no eligible process with specified descriptor')

i get the same error across reboots, on real hardware (x86) or a VM;
from a Terminal window or IDLE; with directories or files or
applications, etc. -- all this -600 error; (if i specify an invalid path
i do get a file not found error.) i mostly come from windows land (and
basically looking for a stand-in for ShellExecute), so if i'm doing
something horribly wrong please let me know :)

i'm using OS X 10.4.9 and MacPython 2.4.4 and can't think of anything
unusual that might be causing it. (killing the finder and restarting it
also does not help; the process is certainly running.)

thanks!

drew