[Pythonmac-SIG] findertools.launch reports "no eligible process"

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Jun 11 21:36:26 CEST 2007

On 8 Jun, 2007, at 14:34, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On  8-Jun-2007, at 13:19 , has wrote:
>> You might add a note that since findertools uses aetools which is
>> [over]due for deprecation, findertools should be deprecated as well.
>>
> [...]
>> Or you can do it with appscript if you prefer:
>>
>> 	from appscript import *
>> 	from mactypes import Alias
>>
>> 	path = '/Users/drew/Documents'
>>
>> 	app('Finder').items[Alias(path)].open()
>
> Problem with deprecating aetools is that there is a truckload of
> modules that depend on it, findertools among them. I'd love to
> rewrite them to use appscript, and it wouldn't even be all that
> much work, but I simply don't have the time (and probably won't
> have the time in the coming few years).

IIRC at least one of the ae* modules seems to have assumptions on the
byteorder engrained into its design.  Fixing that may well be
possible but there doesn't seem to be anyone around that both wants
to have these modules fixed and has enough time (or money) to
actually get this done.

I'm pretty sure that I the current version of argvemulator no longer
depends on aetools because I looked at the ae* code and decided it
wasn't worth my time to try to fix these.

This doesn't mean ae* is crappy code, just that an important design
assumption changed.

Ronald