[Pythonmac-SIG] Porting a Tkinter application to Cocoa: question about datatypes

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Thu Jun 14 02:33:00 CEST 2007

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> The major exception to this is Key-Value Observing (also known as Cocoa
> bindings).  Cocoa bindings requires that objects emit events when they
> are mutated (append an item, set the value for a key in a dict, ...).
> Sadly enough Python doesn't have the hooks that are required to emit
> these events for pure python objects.  Adding this support requires some
> low-level changes to python and I'm not sure if this can be done without
> adversely affecting the performance of the interpreter.

Interesting. Are Cocoa bindings analogous to the updating and binding
mechanism in Tk? For instance, in Tkinter, I can assign a value to an
object, then update that value later in another function via the
StringVar() mechanism. For instance, in in my self.drawGUI function, I
can do this:

         self.status = StringVar()
         self.status.set('Ready')

then in another function, I can call this:

         self.status.set('Process terminated')

and the value of the label widget will be updated. Was this
functionality hard to manage or missing in Objective-C/Cocoa before the
"Cocoa Binding" stuff was added?

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin