[Pythonmac-SIG] library build example?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 7 20:33:54 CET 2007

David Worrall wrote:
> Some questions:
> 	Do I need to make the first *so or not or is it necessary/usual
> practice to SWIG and then build the whole final library in one hit.

I think this is a matter of preference really. However, if the "first
*so" is only used for this one purpose, I see no need to built it as a
separate lib. If you built it all in one go, you'll have an easier time
distributing it.

> 	Does anyone have a simple example using either SCONS or MAKE, which
> has the correct ld options for OSX10.4.8?

You'll have a much easier time building your python extension with
distutils, which means building a setup.py file and running it with the
build flag -- distutils will take care of setting up the compiler flags,
etc to match your python build, and it's cross-platform too.

See the distutils docs for how to do it.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov