[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems with PYTHONPATH using MacPorts Python 2.4 & 2.5

Chris Cioffi evenprimes at gmail.com
Sun May 6 01:48:09 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I'm trying to get started with Python 2.5 on my Mac and for various
reasons would like to use th Python from MacPorts.
[http://www.macports.org/]

I've installed Python 2.5 and when I start it up I get the following:

"""
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Python 2.5 (r25:51908, May  4 2007, 19:57:54)

"""

The only change I have from the default system is I have
.pydistutils.cfg with the following:
"""
[install]
install_lib = ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/site-packages
install_scripts = ~/Applications/bin
install_data = ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/share
"""

Does anyone have any idea on what I should set $PYTHONPATHHOME to?  My
ports install is the default location, /opt/local.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Chris
--
"A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only
a fool trusts either of them." -- P. J. O'Rourke