[Pythonmac-SIG] p2app OpenGL (egg?) difficulties

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon May 14 19:20:07 CEST 2007

On 12 May, 2007, at 15:40, Dave LeCompte wrote:

> I'm trying to use py2app on a script that uses OpenGL. I've been
> able to
> make a py2exe wrapper of the script, which works fine. I don't know
> my way
> around the mac environment quite as well, however.
>
> When I try to run my binary, I get an error, saying
> ImportError: No module named OpenGL.GL
>
> looking at the output of my py2app invocation, I see that it
> notices I'm
> using PyGame, because there's a line "*** using recipe: pygame
> ***", but I
> don't see any reference to OpenGL.
>
> I'm running on a PowerPC Mac, OSX 10.4.9
> Python 2.5
> OpenGL 3.0.0a6
> pyapp 0.3.6
> pygame 1.7.1release
>
> I made a simple test case zip file that illustrates my problem here:
> http://www.bigdicegames.com/Code/Samples/py2appTest.zip
>
> I notice that the documentation mentions that py2app will try to
> make a
> universal binary by default, and I think I turned that off with the
> LSPrefersPPC flag.
>
> I'm unclear if the documentation is trying to tell me that eggs are
> unsupported - my OpenGL module is PyOpenGL-3.0.0a6-py2.5.egg, which
> is a
> zip file. I installed that using easy_install, but I also tried
> removing that and
> building from source, which also created an egg. Should I avoid
> installing
> zipped eggs? Is there a clean way to convert a directory full of
> zipped eggs into
> non-zipped installations?

The current release of py2app doesn't support zipped eggs. AFAIK
there is no easy solution for converting zipped eggs into unzipped
eggs. The easiest one is probably to move all zipped eggs to a
temporary directory and then easy_install them again using
``easy_install -Z somepackage.egg``.

I have a version of py2app that can extract dependencies from zipped
archives, but haven't had time to merge that into the repository yet.
In the longer run I'd like to teach py2app about eggs: it should
probably include entire eggs instead of just subsets.

Ronald