[Pythonmac-SIG] [Numpy-discussion] Problem with numpy on Leopard

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri Nov 2 05:55:36 CET 2007

> > It's not entirely silly.  This has been the advice given to app
> > developers on this list and the PyObjC list for years now.  It's nice
> > to have a better system Python for quick scripts, but it's still the
> > System Python.  It's Apples, for their stuff that uses Python.  And it
> > is specific to OS 10.5.  If you use it to build your app, your app is
> > pretty much guaranteed not to work when someone tries to run it on
> > 10.6, etc.
>
> At some level I agree - I haven't used the system python on Tiger for
> a long time now.  But, that is not how Apple "sells" the python on
> their system.

This is really interesting.  For my apps, I use the system Python on
Tiger, and expect to do it again with Leopard.  If I have to have a
specific version of an extension that's needed, I make sure the
directory where I keep it is on the sys.path of my application before
the standard directories.  That seems to be about all that's required.
I'm not sure what all the FUD about the system Python is...

Bill