[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem with numpy on Leopard

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 2 06:17:56 CET 2007

Ned Deily wrote:
> Ah, but there is a de-facto standard multi-platform Python versioning
> system out there in ever increasing use:  setuptools (a.k.a
> easy_install).

OK I've heard eggs support versioning, but I've never actually seen it
used --how do you specify which version of a package you want to use
with setuptools?

> Apple strongly encourages the use of application packages and the tools
> provided for Python on OSX, i.e. py2app, make it easy for developers to
> provide robust, stand-alone applications without dependencies on shared
> libraries.

py2app is fabulous, and I do use it. It makes lots of sense when
delivering a substantial application, but not so much sense when you
have a bunch of small utilities -- it just "feels wrong" to build a 25MB
package to a 200 line utility. (and a lot of folks don't appreciate
getting a 25MB email enclosure!)

It's also a pain in the patootie when you're developing.

I suppose this may be a time to take a good look at workingenv again...

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov