[Pythonmac-SIG] Python TkAqua, Tkinter bug

davelist at mac.com davelist at mac.com
Fri Nov 2 23:04:48 CET 2007

I am not certain where the problem is or who to report it to, but
there is a bug in TkAqua, Tkinter, or possibly OS X's windowing
system. I am using a simple module on top of Tkinter for teaching an
intro programming course. When I click the mouse in the Tkinter
window, it often reports the wrong coordinates for the click most of
the time. If I use idle and first click on the Tk Console window and
then in the graphical window it seems to work. If I don't click in the
Tk Console window or start Python from the Terminal, it almost always
reports wrong values.

I am running Leopard now and tried both the built-in Python 2.5 and
installing the version from python.org. Some of my students who are
using Tiger report the same issue - I don't recall problems last year
when using this on Tiger, but it's possible. On Windows, the
coordinates are always correct.

The graphics.py module built on top of Tkinter is available at:

http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python/

A simple example that shows the problem is:

from graphics import *
win = GraphWin('test', 800, 800)
pt = win.getMouse()
print pt.getX(), pt.getY()

After clicking in the top left corner, it is clearly the wrong answer
(it should be near 0, 0 depending on how accurate your click is).

Any ideas on where the problem is, who to notify, etc.?

Thanks,
Dave