[Pythonmac-SIG] Python control/integration of a Cocoa/Quicktime application?

Darran Edmundson darran at edmstudio.com
Sat Nov 3 07:12:13 CET 2007

Dethe Elza wrote:
> If you write an Objective-C framework, the python code to wrap it
> using PyObjC is very short.  Here is an example I use to expose Tim
> Omernick's CocoaSequenceGrabber framework to capture images from the
> iSight camera ...

 > The bare minimum you need is:
 > import objc
 > objc.loadBundle('MyBundle', globals(),
 > bundle_path='/my/bundle/path/MyBundle.framework')

Now that we have a proof-of-concept Objective-C framework, I'm trying to
  port a simple test application to python.   Keep in mind that I didn't
write either of these.  I'm a complete neophyte in terms of Mac
development and ObjectiveC; all I have going for me is a lot of python
experience on Windows.  Issues I'm having:

- In a terminal, 'python' still gives me Apple's native 2.3 rather than
   MacPython 2.4.  Do I uninstall Apple's version or simply ensure that
   the MacPython version comes earlier in the system path?

- The pyObjC online docs discuss XCode templates and a distutils
   approach.  Is the latter deprecated, or still a reasonable approach?

- Following Dethe's advice, I can successfully
      obj.loadBundle('EDMDisplayController', ...)
   from within IDLE.  I'm not at all clear on how to proceed from
   here ;-)  It seems there's some infrastructure required even for the
   simplest of applications, correct?  I.e., I can't just expect to
   create a single python script callable from the command line ...

As much as I like independent learning, I could really do with someone
to walk me through this one-on-one.  Anyone interested in a few hours of
consulting?  If so, just email me a rate and availability over the next
week.  I can give you SVN access to our code, and we can chat on the
phone or Skype.

Cheers,
Darran.

--