[Pythonmac-SIG] Leopard python architectures in setup.py

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Nov 3 07:55:48 CET 2007

On 2 Nov, 2007, at 21:38, Martina Oefelein wrote:

> Am 02.11.2007 um 08:03 schrieb Ronald Oussoren:
>
>> As you've noticed the actual framework is 64bit but the commandline
>> tools are not. It should be easy enough to add 64-bit command-line
>> tools as well, but even then you'll have to add extra arguments to
>> build 64-bit extensions (as Boyd mentions).
>
> I think this actually makes sense: if the command line tools were
> 32/64 bit universal, scripts would run with the 64 bit version on 64
> bit systems, and wouldn't be able to use any of the libraries that
> are only 32 bit.
>
> The framework, on the other hand, should be 32/64 bit universal so
> that both 32 and 64 bit applications can embed python.

It's to bad that they don't ship 64-bit command-line utilities as
well. Oh well, I guess that's an opportunity for the community: build
a small installer that will install 64-bit commandline tools (e.g. a
python64 command) as well as the stuff that should be in /Application/
MacPython 2.5.

This is not too hard, but slightly harder than it seems at first
glance because one should also hack distutils such that python64 will
build 64-bit (or even 4-way universal) binaries while the normal 32-
bit binaries should keep functioning exactly as they do now.

Ronald